Human Rights & Democracy workshop – 1
Here is an account of the workshop so far.
The workshop started with a discussion about ASEAN and the question “Why was ASEAN created?” There are many reasons for ASEAN’s existence, such as: peace; trade and the economy; rights; cultural exchange; the movement of people; sharing medicine, health care; and eliminating visa requirements. All of these are come with ASEAN.
Some of these can help and some cannot.
The following were points made in that regard:
- The argument of Thailand and Cambodia. We cannot deal with this problem.
- The culture, the other culture seems to dominate on our country.
- The trade: our country mostly does everything by hand. The import and export are not balance (unequal).
- For the sex worker, they cannot go across the border so it unfair for them. So what kind of people that can involve in that trade, the answer is the rich not the poor.
- For the right: not fulfill for the citizens. This right will create the unfair for the citizens so much.
- The five original of ASEAN are: Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Philippine. At that time the war covered every place. The five countries like the US. So which country those have the idea to create the ASEAN? The answer is the US. The fact to create the ASEAN is to protect the trade of the US. Before we know about the problem we need to know the history of the ASEAN. The country that can join the ASEAN, they need to prepare the trade policy similar to the US.
The main points of the discussion so far: visas, trade, movement of people, and rights.
These problem arise at every turn, the poor cannot gain any advantages from 0ASEAN because of the lack of knowledge, language and capital.
Ideas presented thus far:
- Visa: the right to across the border, but it seems so limited
- Movement of People: No freedom to move to the other country
What’s the solution to these issues? What do we need from ASEAN? What is the role of ASEAN? Is the role of ASEAN to protect its citizens, even though it seems to be against such a role?
– Khoem Dina